14 September 2019 (10am to 2pm tours only)
Built around 1870 as the West Public Primary School, this building on Castle Street has remained a seat of learning to the present day. In the latter part of the 20th Century it changed use from a primary school to becoming an annexe for the North Highland College (NHC) (then known as Thurso Technical College), teaching a variety of skills including joinery. With the development of the NHC site at Ormlie road to host these courses the building entered into the latest phase of its history.
It became the Environmental Research Institute (ERI), formally opened by Jamie Stone MP (then MSP) on 9th May 2000. The ERI has grown from just a handful of staff and students to around 35, with a core of 20 staff and PhD students still based at the Castle Street site. The two large office spaces, a conference room, and three large laboratories - hosting a range of state of the art analytical instruments, allow us to learn more about how we can look after and benefit from the local environment.
Tours on the hour and half hour from 10am to 1.30pm
Building Date: 1870
Tours will be on the hour and half hour at 10.00, 10.30, 11.00, 11.30, 12.00, 12.30, 13.00, and 13.30.
Tours will last c. 15 – 20 minutes with time at the end (or waiting for a tour to commence) to look at displays/slides and talk to staff here about our work.