5 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
6 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
The Lighthouse, built by Robert Stevenson, took two years to build; work commenced in 1828 and the Lighthouse was first lit on 26th March 1830. The tower stands 26 metres high and the light is 99 metres above sea level. On a clear night, the light can be seen 20 nautical miles (23 land miles) away with a flashing white light every 20 seconds.
Until 1971, the lens was a combination of shining brass and sparkling crystal revolving on beautifully made rollers. Paraffin for the lamps and lighthouse keepers’ cottages, came via ships, deposited at East Tarbet and stored in a stone building. These ships were also used to move lighthouse keepers around the coastline from post to post.
In 1971, the Lighthouse was converted to electricity and began to use a sealed-beam light, mounted on a gearless revolving pedestal. In early 2019 the Northern Lighthouse Board undertook a complete refurbishment and replaced the old light with a two-tier light of a total of 180,000 candelas. The 2 lights together make an 18 nautical mile range which is a reduction of 10 nautical miles.
The Lighthouse became automatic in 1988 and is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Board’s headquarters in Edinburgh. The Lighthouse is open to the public in July, august, bank holidays and school holidays.
Learn more about the history of the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse from their webpage.Learn more!
Soar above the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse in this drone video.Drone footage
On the 30th of April 2017, two of the three Kelvin diesel engines that used to power the fog horn at the Mull of Galloway lighthouse were officially fired up for the first time in 30 years. A wonderful thing to see and hear, this small piece of our industrial and marine heritage brought back to life.Watch a video!
Short film of the wildlife and scenery surrounding the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse in Scotland.Check it out!
Enjoy a short film which captures the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse and the surrounding countryside.Check out the video!
Architect: Robert Stevenson (Engineer)
Building Date: 1828