Trimontium Roman Museum
The Trimontium Fort is the largest Roman fort site north of Hadrian’s Wall. Established during the first invasion by the Roman’s around 80CE, it was a cavalry fort and housed up to 2000 soldiers. The Fort site was extensively excavated between 1905-1910 by local archaeologist James Curle and produced a wealth of Roman artefacts which form a substantial part of the National Roman collection.
The Trimontium Museum tells the story of the Trimontium Roman Fort and the native peoples of the Eildons, through the objects they have left behind. The museum has artefacts from private and national collections and uses audio visual and touch screen technology to bring the fort and the landscape to life. The Museum is fully accessible and has a shop, children’s activities and is also dog-friendly.
Visit the Trimontium Museum free of charge to view our fantastic collection & audio visuals. Visitors will get exclusive access to our new wing, not normally open to the public, containing our library and a host of hands-on special activities.
The Trimontium Trust will also be providing tours of the fort site on Saturday 2nd September as part of Doors Open Days. Please see separate listing for details.
Booking not required.
Where to find us
- Market Square
- TD6 9PN
Programmes this building took part in: