This Chapel was opened in 1541as an R.C. place of worship before becoming Protestant at the Reformation. Features inside include the only pre- Reformation stained glass windows in Scotland. For over 300 years this Chapel was also the guild hall of the Incorporation of Hammermen; and the Deacon’s chair, dated 1708, is on display. Used from 1841 by Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society, who were providing medical and spiritual care to the Irish who settled in the Cowgate in order to escape the potato famine.
On the hour, every hour, a brief history of the Chapel will be given.
Where to find us
- 41 Cowgate
- EH1 1JR
Programmes this building took part in: