St James the Great, Cupar
East Fife
On Sunday morning 22 December 1867, St James the Great, Episcopal church was formally opened by Bishop Wordsworth. The architect was R. Anderson Esq., of Edinburgh, and the general contract was carried out by Mr R. Adam, Cupar Fife.
The panelling and choir screen were the gift of the Gilroy family, as a memorial to two sons and a son-in-law lost during the 1914-1918 war. It is believed that they were designed by the famous architect Professor Lorimer, and were carved by the same brothers who restored the woodwork of Dumfermline Abbey.
The Chancel Screen is in memory of Capt. Robert Edgar Forrester, of the Black Watch, who was killed on 15th June 1915, aged 38 years old, and used to live in the house which is now the Rufflets Hotel between here and St Andrews.
Facilities
Additional Access Information
Gallery