7 September 2019 (12noon-4pm)
8 September 2019 (12noon-4pm)
This A Listed building was completed in 1773 by George Ross, owner of the Cromarty Estate, using Government funds from lands forfeited after the unsucessful 1745 Jacobite Rising. The old Mercat Cross was moved to the front of the building just after it opened. The building was used for sittings of the Sheriff Court and other official purposes.
A high perimeter wall and cell block was added in 1847. The dome of the cupola was re-roofed by public subscription in the 1950s. The Town Council and Burgh Magistrates continued to use the building until the 1960s.
It was rescued from decay and restored in 1991 and is now run by a locally based Trust as a museum and visitor centre. The museum tells the story of Cromarty and the courtroom scene has lifelike figures with an audio enactment of a historic trial. Artefacts held in the museum date from the late Bronze Age (a newly acquired "Tress Ring") through to items donated by local people.
Architect: Thomas Brown (prison)
Building Date: 1782, 1844
Parking on street or Links car park
Limited disabled access - staff happy to assist.