15 September 2018 (Sat 10am-4pm)
Glasgow Evangelical Church has a restored exterior and beautiful interior, entrance and sanctuary and is an A-listed building. It has original stained-glass and Grade 1 historic pipe organ as well as award-winning modern stained-glass windows made by members.
The restoration work to the Building and Sanctuary was �funded by Grants from Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and our own fundraising. We have also recently put in new Pew Cushions, some of which are donated by Members and Friends of the Church. Work was finally completed in December 2017.
John Honeyman (1831-1914) was an Architect of high renown and from 1888 his partner was John Keppie and from 1889 he had Charles Rennie Mackintosh as an Assistant.
The skyline is dominated with Statues of St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke and St. John and at their feet lie, respectively, the heads of a man, a lion, a calf and an eagle. Above the doors are St. Peter and St. Paul.
Within there is a magnificent Pipe Organ installed in 1887, so impressive that visitors from far afield come to see it. The Institute of Historic Pipe Organs has granted it a Grade 1 Certificate. The Organ is regularly maintained and is believed to be one of only a few of its kind in Scotland.
Some Members of the Church learned the craft of Stained Glass Windows making and have created eight award winning windows installed from 1999 to 2001.
We are proud of this place of Worship in what is the true centre of the City. It is perhaps fitting that the Church is �watched over" by John Knox, the father of the Scottish Reformation. As 2017 was the 500th anniversary of the Reformation some Members embarked on making a craft banner for the Church to commemorate Martin Luther.
Parking: On street metred parking available
Accessibility: there are two steps from the pavement to the Church door but after that we have a Chairlift to the Sanctuary
Architect: John Honeyman
Building Date: 1887
Doors Open Day 2018:
Booking not required
We have a leaflet which shows some parts of the Church and this is for the children to use to search the Sanctuary and find the parts shown in the leaflet.