5 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day plus open as usual)
6 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day plus open as usual)
The Mill on the Fleet was built in 1788 as a cotton spinning mill and restored as a visitor centre by Dumfries and Galloway Council in the 1980’s. The water wheel on the gable end was used to drive the machinery to spin the cotton. The separate longer wheel was connected to machinery in another mill building, now ruined, but both mill wheels have now been reconnected to the original water supply and it is hoped that their motion will be harnessed for practical use in the future.
As well as the wheels, the mill has displays of the Fleet Valley, a welcoming café, a shop and special exhibitions.
The Mill is now open daily from 10am - 4pm but closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. All areas of the building are open - exhibitions, bookshop, arts and crafts, and café. Please follow guidance on social distancing and use the hand sanitising stations situated around the building. Please note that masks must be worn throughout the building.
The Main Exhibition Floor
The main exhibition floor houses displays focusing on the history and heritage of Gatehouse, and exploring the Fleet Valley and surrounding areas. The Fleet Valley is a designated National Scenic Area - one of three in this part of Scotland. The displays introduce the valley and provide orientation and resources to help visitors explore the area.
The temporary exhibition galleries, have a programme of exhibitions running throughout the season.
The Mill Café provides delicious cakes, scones and coffes and teas all day. Enjoy the river and its varied wildlife from the open air terrace. Due to Covid-19 we have restricted the menu and are currently not doing meals.
Testing the wheels at the Mill which have been stopped for the last three years - happily they seemed to work surprisingly well but there is quite a bit of renovation work to do.See the Water Wheel turning
Visit the Mill on the Fleet through their website.Visit their site
Building Date: 1775
The Mill on the Fleet – Photo: Ken Smyth