Back to List

Elyza Fraser Mausoleum

Door open days

14 September 2019 (11.00am - 4.00pm)

15 September 2019 (11.00am - 4.00pm)


Described by architectural historians as possibly the finest sepulchral monument in Aberdeenshire, the Category A listed mausoleum was built for the first female laird of Castle Fraser by James Byres of Tonley in the Roman New-Classical style in 1808. The standard of construction is superb although internally water ingress has damaged the memorials. Now owned by The NESPT and a restoration project is in preparation.

A representative of the Friends of Elyza Fraser group will be on hand to talk about the mausoleum.


Key Information

Architect: James Byres, Tonley

Building Date: 1808

Where to find us

  • Cluny Graveyard
  • Cluny
  • Monymusk
  • AB51 7RS