14 September 2019 (10:00 to 13:00)
Richardson and Son and long established local printers in the town. They have been involved in printing a number of publications associated with the history of Hawick, including:
"Companion Guide to Hawick and District" for Hawick Archaeological Society
"Hawick & District and The Great War" by Derek Robertson
"Reflections of Hawick" by Ian W Landles BEM an Alan G Brydon.
In 2019 they used an 1863 machine to print Langholm Common-Riding ribbons on pink material.(Colours of the Winner of The Derby)
The building now occupied by Richardson & Son has a long history.
In 1921 the North British Railway Company opened a maintenance yard and sidings at the former Andrew Oliver & Son's auction site in Loch Park, relocating the district's wagon works from the wilderness at Riccarton junction.
With the impending closure of the Waverley Line, the yard and its workshops were converted to an industrial estate by Hawick Town Council in 1968. One of the first tenants was The Hawick News, which moved from its original premises at 24 High Street. Their print works closed in 2000 and is now occupied by Richardson & Son, commercial and general printers
Building Date: Unknown