Search
Search

Find a building

Angus

Abbey Theatre

3-4 September 2016

The Abbey Theatre Club has been in its current location since 1964 when extensive renovations turned this derelict building into a working theatre.  Following a complete refurbishment in 1995 with the help of National Lottery Funding, the theatre now boasts a 79 seater auditorium, full backstage dressing facilities and extensive storage space for scenery, props and costumes.  The Abbey Theatre Club produces a number of plays every year, including a pantomime which is often a completely original production. Productions cover a wide range of tastes, from Scots comedies to thrillers and musical plays. The Club also has an active youth group. Run as a charity, the running of the Abbey Theatre Club and the upkeep of the building is the effort and responsibility of a group of volunteers. Tours of backstage area will be available.

Clackmannanshire

Alloa Fire Station

24-25 September 2016

Alloa Fire Station opened in 1964. It currently has four fire appliances, including specialist vehicles for urban search and rescue and heavy rescue. These are crewed by 28 wholetime personnel on a four watch rotational duty system and by 12 additional personnel on a retained duty system. The inception of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in April 2013 means that these fire crews and their supporting equipment from Alloa could be called upon to mobilise to anywhere in Scotland. The role of the fire service has changed dramatically since 1964. The modern fire service of today attends a range of incidents including fires, road traffic collisions, urban search and rescue, water rescue and rope rescue. The appliances and equipment within Alloa display the vast array of equipment required for these tasks. The crews are also pro-actively involved in all aspects of community safety work, including the delivery of home fire safety visits and engaging with the local community to give fire safety advice. To book a free Home Fire Safety Visit text ‘fire’ to 61611, call 0800 0731 999 or visit the website: www.firescotland.gov.uk

Clackmannanshire

Alloa Hilton Farm

24 September 2016

The Earl and Countess of Mar & Kellie will welcome visitors to their home to see some fine family portraits, including a newly arrived three-metre high painting of Walter Coningsby Erskine, 10th Earl of Mar, who inherited the earldom and Alloa estate from his cousin, the 9th Earl of Mar, in 1866. He had had a very distinguished career in India and became a Commander of the Bath following the Indian Mutiny, when he managed to keep his district of Jubalpore quiet. He used his considerable fortune to enlarge Alloa House and improve the estate, as well as making alterations and repairs to Alloa Tower. The paintings also complement the large collection of Mar & Kellie portraits on display in nearby Alloa Tower.

Clackmannanshire

Alloa Ludgate Church

24-25 September 2016

This church was designed by Peddie & Kinnear in Early French Gothic style and replaced a plain 18th century building. In 1902 Scots late Gothic transepts and a pine and marble sanctuary with an elaborate pulpit by A G Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, who had also designed Greenfield for David Thomson, were added; David Thomson and his brother John Thomson Paton paid for this work. The north window is in memory of their parents, while the west and east transept windows were given by the Procters, another branch of the Paton family. All three windows are by C E Kempe. The 1904 pipe organ by Messrs Lewis and Co was also given by the Thomsons. The adjacent church hall was designed by the Alloa architect Adam Frame in 1891. The interior was altered a few years ago: the original pews were removed, the marble altar moved to the west transept and the walls and roof painted. Memorials and other fittings from the former North Church have been incorporated into the modernised church.

Clackmannanshire

Alloa Sheriff Court

25 September 2016

The Sheriff Court was built as the new County and Police Buildings to replace Ochil House. It was designed by Brown and Wardrop in a late Scots-Flemish style and it also reflects the local tradition, with crowstepped gables and gablets. Above the main entrance on Mar Street is a balcony surmounted by lions and the Royal coat-of-arms. The impressive three-storey tower has pedimented clock faces and a steep roof. The first-floor court room has a hammer-beam roof and large light fittings, originally for gas lamps. The extension and police offices were designed by William Kerr, who was responsible for many public and private buildings in the county. Portraits from the Mar & Kellie collection are on display in this multi-functional court building. There will be no access to the cells.

Clackmannanshire

Alloa Speirs Centre

24 September 2016

The Speirs Centre was built as Alloa Public Baths and Gymnasium and was gifted by John Thomson Paton, Managing Director of John Paton, Son & Co. Ltd, KIlncraigs Mill. It was designed by John James Burnet, Son & Campbell. Construction began in 1895 and it opened on 29th April 1898. The building has been described as ‘one of Scotland’s finest public baths and gymnasiums’. It closed at the end of 1986, then reopened as a gymnastic centre on 13thJanuary 1989 as The Speirs Centre, in memory of the Clackmannanshire boxer Tommy Speirs. It closed again in 2012 and reopened on 18th October 2014, with a new extension designed by LDN Architects. It now provides a wide range of services, including a library; local and family history research centre; Registry; customer services and exhibitions on the history and heritage of the county.

Clackmannanshire

Alloa St John's Episcopal Church

24 September 2016

This church was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in a simple Geometric style, with a separate bell-tower and tall, broach spire. It is one of the most beautifully designed and finished Episcopal churches in Scotland and was built for Walter Coningsby Erskine, 10th Earl of Mar, as a gift to the congregation. The ornate interior includes stained glass by C A Gibbs (1869), C E Kempe (1890, 1902), Douglas Strachan (1913) and Margaret Chilton (1939) given by the Erskine family, William Bailey of Alloa Pottery and the Younger family, brewers in Alloa; a Sicilian marble altar with a reredos mosaic by Salviati of Venice; and some very fine memorials, including an impressive marble effigy of Walter Coningsby Erskine, a World War I memorial designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and a chancel screen and memorial tablet of 1902 in memory of 2nd Lieutenant E J Younger, who was killed in the Boer War. The tablet contains a fine enamel by Phoebe Anna Traquair. Restoration of the spire and chancel was completed with financial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and other funding bodies.

Search Filters