Search
Search
Back to List

Auld Kirkyard

Door open days

Scottish Borders

Kirk o' the Forest

The ruins of the Auld Kirk are those of the 5th (or maybe 6th) church to stand on this site since the earliest recorded church here in 1152 AD.

Many of the early Kings of Scots came to hunt in Selkirk Forest and their parliaments were held 'apud Scheleskirke'.

William Wallace, the Scottish patriot was proclaimed 'Guardian of Scotland' within the Kirk in March 1298.

The restored Murray Aisle contains the remains of the Murrays of Philiphaugh, one of whose members was a maternal ancestor of President Franklin D Roosevelt, USA.

Key Information

Building Date: 1748

Where to find us

Address
  • The Kirk Wynd
  • Selkirk
  • TD7 4AW