Invererne House is one of a small group of early 19th century houses built by the emerging class of enlightened gentlemen often returning to their estates in Moray after service in the Far East or in the Army. It bears at least a superficial resemblance to the 18th century �Great Houses� of the West Indian plantations which were usually built with high pedimented frontages over raised basements.
The fluency of plaster and carved decoration in the Drawing Room and Dining Room provide ample evidence that there was a school of skilled craftsmen working in the Forres area in the early 1800s.�
Listed Category A
Building Date: 1818