9 September 2018 (1200 to 1700 hrs - Last tour 1600 hrs)
Plans for the Upper Walled Garden of Penicuik Estate were drawn up in 1873. There were detailed planting schemes for fruit and vegetables for the 5 acres of growing area, and more than 100 yards of glasshouses and conservatories for growing peaches, figs and grapes as well as outdoor cultivation of fruit trees and soft fruit.
By the mid-1880's, the garden was operational, quite faithfully following the original plans. From the impressively scrolled iron gate, the path led past a central fountain and up the 'grand staircase' to the terraces in front of the glasshouses. Around the turn of the century, the garden changed from the kitchen garden for Penicuik House to become one of the most magnificent commercial horticultural ventures in Scotland.
Eighty years later found the garden abandoned and the glasshouses wrecked.
Architect: Tours from car park on the hour 1200 to 1600 hrs
Building Date: mid 1880's
See first-hand Penicuik Community Development Trust's progress towards restoring this garden to its former glory.
Tours on the hour from the car park. Last tour 1600 hrs.
No booking required.
Visit the website for more information
Access involves a 400 m walk following directions posted at the Penicuik Estate car park. The car park (OS grid ref NT 219 599) is about 2 kms south west of Penicuik centre on A766 Carlops Road and faces the road junction leading through Lawrie's Den.