There has been a working Smiddy in Cousland since 1703. When the local blacksmith retired in 1989, the Cousland Smiddy Trust was set up to save the Smiddy; as one of the last still working in Scotland. In 2001 the Smiddy complex and its gardens were purchased by the Trust and are now open to the public regularly throughout the summer months with group bookings welcome.
Funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland saw the restoration of the smith's cottage, and recent further development has enabled Cousland Local History Project to create a permanent space to display the history of the village, which can be traced back to the Early Bronze Age.
Building Date: 1703