11 September 2017 (Mon–Sat, 10am–4pm. Sat–Sun Tours on request; 20mins.)
17 September 2017
Home to Cancer Support Scotland, a beautifully restored arts and crafts styled Sir John James Burnet building built in 1904 formally as the Royal Gartnavel Chapel. A bright, welcoming space with a relaxing atmosphere.
Mon–Sat, 10am–4pm. Sat–Sun Tours on request; 20mins.
Meeting Point: Upstairs Reception
Additional Access Information: Fully Accessible
The former Royal Gartnavel Chapel designed by the most celebrated Scottish architect of his time, Sir John James Burnet. The Arts & Crafts inspired building was opened in 1904 and was considered an unusual choice for Glasgow buildings which were predominately built in stone. In contract with most churches of the time where height and verticality were preferred, it was designed to sit low in the landscape with a small porch to welcome people in from the hospital. Also of note, the two stained glass windows in the north gable, St Luke & Dorcas, were designed by Robert Anning Bell and created by the studio of Guthrie & Wells in 1904. Now home to Cancer Support Scotland, the building was re-opened in 2012 after lying derelict for 14 years. The building was renovated alongside the development of a sympathetic extension to cater for the new owners. Cancer Support Scotland provide free counselling and complementary therapy to anyone affected by cancer including family and carers.
For younger children there are activity packs based on the chapel and Gartnavel's history.
Architect: Sir John James Burnet;Austin-Smith:Lord
Building Date: 1904;2012