15 September 2019 (1300 - 1500)
A tolbooth has existed at Inverkeithing to administer the town's justice from at least 1550 but because of its poor condition and frequent escapes from the gaol a new Townhouse was built in 1770 incorporating some of the earlier Renaissance bell-tower at the western end, containing in its pediment a representation of the burgh arms, which dates from the 17th century. See the meeting room for the Town Council and hear the story of the “Black Hole” debtors prison and its toilet.
Building Date: 1770
A guided walk, starting at the Townhouse, around the historic buildings of Inverkeithing, will commence at 3.00pm and last about one hour.