Divinity has been taught in the University since 1583 and when the professorial system was introduced in 1620, the first two Chairs were those of Divinity and Humanity. The building of New College began in 1846 following the seismic split in the national Church of Scotland known as the Disruption. On 3 June 1846 Dr Thomas Chalmers (1780-1847), inspirational genius of the Free Church and first Principal of its new College, laid the foundation stone of the imposing twin-towered building overlooking the Mound and Princes Street on the site of what had been Fox Hall. To the west of New College are the 18C tenements where Patrick Geddes started Scotland?s first student residence in 1887. In the 1960s this was incorporated into the Mylne?s Court complex.