The Church was designed by the distinguished Scottish architect David Bryce and built as a Unitarian Church in 1835. Unitarians do not generally embrace the concept of sainthood, and it is one of only two Unitarian Churches identified with a saint’s name, perhaps because, in 1835, there was a threat of litigation in English Courts that could challenge the rights of Unitarians to church buildings. Perhaps also the use of the “IHS” symbol on the sounding board that was formerly above the pulpit and on the bays above the Gallery, was part of this requirement. Behind the Baroque façade there is a galleried U-plan interior with iron columns supporting the arched ceiling and allowing for an exceptionally and naturally well lit interior, which has Mannerist touches.
Architect: David Bryce
Building Date: 1835
Piano Recital at 1.00pm (free but with retiring collection).
Wheelchair access to ground floor only.
Guided tours. Information leaflets/notes available.
Image © www.scran.ac.uk