Originally a Carmelite Friary founded in 1330, the church fell into disrepair during the 16th century. It was restored for the use of the Episcopal church in 1890, the work being started by John Kinross. Later work was carried out in the 1960s by Ian Lindsay with extensive refurbishment in 2000, new floor (with underfloor heating), and a glass engraved screen to the side chapel. Features include the font cover designed by Lorimer, 14th century aumbry and Mass Dial on the outside south wall. It is now the only Medieval carmelite church still in use in the British Isles.