A publicly accessible green lung in an urban setting, this 14-acre cemetery dating from 1846 provides a wildlife refuge and peaceful haven. It is now closed to new burials and is in the care of the City of Edinburgh Council. Architect David Cousin followed 19th century “garden cemetery movement” principles in its layout, also designing the Victorian gothic entrance lodge and Romanesque catacombs. Friends of Newington Cemetery will be on hand to point out features and monuments of interest, including centenary links with WW1.
Architect: David Cousin
Building Date: 1846