23 September 2017 (10.30 to 4pm)
24 September 2017 (10.30 to 4pm)
Tullibole Castle is a typical example of a 17th century tower house. There was an earlier building on the site, but the present building was started in the 16th century and expanded in 1608 by John Halliday, who bought the land in 1589. The castle was extended again in the 18th century and has been owned by the Moncrieff family since about 1740. The interior and gardens were renovated in the late 1950s, the spelling changing from Tulliebole to Tullibole at the same time.
Rhoderick Moncrieff, the current owner, commissioned the Witches Maze in 2012, a memorial to commemorate the Crook of Devon witch trials in 1662, when some members of the Moncrieff family sent eleven people to their deaths because they were believed to be witches. The memorial can be seen in the grounds.
The castle is now primarily used as a venue for weddings, events and as a guest house. There are also the ruins of a medieval church and old kirkyard, the remains of a moat and a doocot in the grounds.
Building Date: 17th century