23 September 2017 (11 am to 3 pm)
24 September 2017 (1 pm to 3 pm)
The church was built as a chapel of ease in 1842 and is celebrating its 175th anniversary. The design consists of a plain nave with a tall, square eastern tower of four stages, including a belfry. The bell was installed in 1846 and was rung in the traditional manner until recently, but is now operated by pushing an electric switch.
Improvements were made in about 1889, including the two west windows, with stained glass representing Faith, Hope and Charity and the Bible, Holy Spirit and Lamb of God. The north and south side windows include symbols of the Four Evangelists.
The furnishings include a finely carved Communion table presented in 1932; the pulpit, moved to its present side position in 1972; an octagonal baptismal font donated in 1948 and a Hammond organ, probably the third organ in the church. The church united with Coalsnaughton Parish Church in 1994 and its baptismal font, a gift from the Sunday School in 1943, and Communion table were moved here. There are two adjacent halls, one built in 1900 and the other in 1956/7.
Building Date: 1842, 1889, 1900
There will be a display commemorating the 175-year history of the church.
There will be a fine display of wedding dresses loaned by women who were married in the church, together with a range of Christening gowns.