30 September 2018 (See details of guided tours)
Clackmannan Tower dates from c1360 and was built by the Bruce family. In the 15th century the building was raised to its current height and the taller south wing was constructed. A new mansion was built to the west of the tower in the late 16th century and in the 17th century further changes were made to the tower. Lady Catherine Bruce, the last of the family, lived in the mansion until her death in 1791.
The tower has been in the guardianship of the State since the 1950s and is managed on its behalf by Historic Environment Scotland, which has undertaken extensive repairs. Further improvements have been carried out recently as part of the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative (IFLI). New internal barriers have improved safety for visitors, the scaffolded staircase has been removed and new lighting has been installed this year.
Building Date: 14-15C, with later alterations
Visits will be by pre-booked guided tour only at 9.30, 10.00, 10.30, 11.00, 11.30, 12.00, 1.15, 1.45, 2.15, 2.45, 3.15 and 3.45. Each tour will last 45 minutes. Visitors will be admitted only if they have booked and are on the list.
To book, please call Historic Environment Scotland on 0131 550 7603 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 12 noon on Friday 28th September.
Visitors should note that this is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties. Sturdy footwear and outdoor clothing are essential, as access is via a field, a spiral staircase and uneven floors and part of the tour is outdoors. There are some low lintels and ceilings and hard hats may be worn; we will provide hats for adults, but children may wish to bring cycle helmets with them.