28 September 2019 (9.30 am to 5pm)
29 September 2019 (2pm to 4pm)
Designed by James Gillespie Graham, this fine building probably replaced the medieval church built on the site in 1249. In perpendicular Georgian Gothic, with a buttressed tower against the west gable, there have been a number of alterations, but the interior retains many of its original features, including the pews and gallery. A plaque by Sir Robert Lorimer commemorates Robert Bruce, Master of Burleigh, who was killed at Le Cateau on 26th August 1914, an early casualty of the First World War.
The stained glass is impressive and all of mid-20th century date; there are windows by Herbert Hendrie (1938, 1940), Douglas Hamilton (1952, 1953), Gordon Webster (1964) and Sadie McLellan (1966), the last one donated by the Buick family of Hilton Fireclay, Brick & Tile Works in Alloa. The Coronation window, the only one in the county, is in the east wall of the gallery. Her Majesty the Queen visited the church on 9th July 1997 to see it.
In the kirkyard, late 17th and early 18th century trade gravestones reflect the farming backgrounds of many of the inhabitants of the parish. The large memorial for the Bruce family can also be seen.
Architect: James Gillespie Graham
Building Date: 1813-17
On Saturday only home-made soup and sandwiches will be available from 12 noon to 2 pm.
Light refreshments will be available at other times.