29 September 2018 (12 pm to 4 pm)
30 September 2018 (12 pm to 4 pm)
One of the largest and finest towers of its type in Scotland, it was home to the distinguished Erskine family, Earls of Mar, from the later 14th century until 1800. By 1693 a mansion, kitchen tower, brew house and other buildings had been added. In 1702 John, 6th Earl of Mar, began to convert the tower into an elegant modern house and created an ambitious and extensive planned landscape around his home.
In 1800 the mansion was destroyed by fire, but the tower survived. By the 1980s it was derelict. Alloa Tower Building Preservation Trust restored it to its likely appearance in 1712. The tower was opened formally by Her Majesty the Queen in 1997. A fine collection of Erskine family portraits from the Mar & Kellie collection is displayed, along with many items of family silver, while a DVD tells the story of the tower. Alloa Tower is owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland.
Building Date: Late 15th century, with later alteraions
Costumed guides and medieval and later craft activities will be on display.
Last entry at 3.00
Special exhibition of memorabilia from the Mar & Kellie collection