Linlithgow Canal Centre
This is an opportunity to visit the Canal Museum, tearoom, yard and wharf, also the workshop of the Linlithgow Union Canal Society and the Mel Gray Education Centre. Built c. 1820s (probably Hugh Baird, Canal Engineer), a visit to the Canal Centre as a whole (Category C Listed) recalls the heyday of the Union waterway (Edinburgh-Falkirk), not yet challenged by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway (1842).
The Canal Centre is a simple vernacular building, originally two stables to the east end and two cottages at west end, and is an important surviving part of the infrastructure of Scotland's last major canal.
The Museum is recognised by Scottish Government and remains Scotland's only specific canal museum.