The Well House, Bridge of Allan
The tiny Category B Listed Well House dates from 1821 and is the earliest surviving building associated with the spa town of Bridge of Allan. It may even be one of the earliest buildings of this type in Scotland. In 1819 water seeping from disused copper mines was discovered to be as good as the Spa towns in Europe, drinking mineral spring water quickly became fashionable after this discovery. Bridge of Allan then developed around the mineral waters which were pumped up the Well House’s 120 foot shaft and sold to the public to cure their various ailments.
Caver, Mark Stanford, found the shaft leading to the Well House whilst exploring the copper mine tunnels in 2016, he was able to purchase the building and has since been working with a small band of enthusiastic and knowledgeable volunteers to restore it.
Sensible shoes are recommended due to undulating, and sometimes muddy, ground.
Booking not required.
Where to find us
- Mine Road
- Bridge of Allan
- FK9 4DT
Programmes this building took part in: