Colzium House was built in 1783, it was substantially enlarged in 1861, but much of the original building was pulled down in the late 1940s, due to dry rot, but the Victorian frontage and wings survive to form the house we see today. The museum comprises a single room on the second floor of the house, converted out of the former chapel.
The Colzium Lennox Estate is rich in history and includes the excavated remains of a 15th Century L-plan tower house demolished in 1703. Nearby is a traditional Scottish ice-house c.1680 which has been restored and is open for public inspection. Also on the estate is a fine walled garden with numerous interesting shrubs and trees.
Colzium House will be open and tours outlining the history of the house will be available on a drop-in basis. In the main hall there will be chance to learn about life in medieval Kilsyth with some dressing up and replica objects. Children can make their own stained glass window craft, taking inspiration from the stained glass window in the hall. Craft £2, other activities are free.
Also: café, play area, walled garden and arboretum.
In association with volunteers from the Friends of Colzium House.
Where to find us
- Colzium-Lennox Estate
- Stirling Road
- G65 0PY
Programmes this building took part in: