Airdrie High Parish Church
Airdrie High Parish Church is a congregation within the Church of Scotland. The parish incorporates various districts within the town of Airdrie, which lies in North Lanarkshire. The Church building is situated in the north of the town and was built in 1838. The Church was built by the first Minister and his congregation. Only a few years later the entire congregation left at the Disruption and the High became a congregation within the Free Church of Scotland. Eventually, however, the congregation rejoined the Church of Scotland upon the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland in 1929. One of the most distinctive features of the church is that despite being the better part of 200 years old, there have only been 10 Ministers, a reflection of the extraordinary length of service for some of the prior Ministers.
The church’s First and Second World War memorials are particularly noteworthy. The First World War memorial is in fact the communion table. The Second World War memorial began life as a second table, but the names of the fallen were transferred to a lectern that is situated within the sanctuary and used for that purpose weekly. Biographical details are available for some of the fallen recorded on the memorials.
Open Saturday, 10am-noon, 2pm-4pm, Sunday, 2pm-4pm
Guided tours, display boards, refreshments
Disabled access to the church sanctuary and the hall (all one building)
Where to find us
- 20 North Bridge Street
- ML6 6NE
Programmes this building took part in: