St Mary's Catholic Church, Greenock
St Mary’s Church has great historical significance as the “Mother Parish” of the Catholic Church in Greenock and district. The first St Mary’s Church was built in 1816 in East Shaw Street but by the middle of the 19th century the Catholic population had increased massively by immigrants from the Highlands and Ireland. The new and larger St Mary’s Church which is now in Patrick Street was opened in 1862, it is now a Grade B listed building. The architect was George Goldie of London, this is one of the few examples of his work in Scotland.
When it was first built St Mary’s church was praised for its “austere and masculine dignity”. If its external appearance is rather squat, this is because the tower which was planned was never finished due to a lack of funds. It was intended to be as twice as high as it is now and to house a peal of bells.
The building has been added to, modified and renovated many times during its 158 year history. The most recent refurbishment was completed in 2002, which gives a feeling of light and space which immediately strikes you as you enter the main door and survey the whole church from the new glass porch.
For Doors Open Days there will be members of the church on hand to give guided tours on request.
St Mary's Church 360 - degree tour from the Altar
View 360 degrees from the altar of St Mary's Church in Greenock. Look at the beautiful marble altar and stained glass windows.Take a 360-degree virtual tour!
St Mary's Church 360 - degree tour
View 360 degrees of St Mary's Church in this virtual tour! Marvel at the stunning ceiling and the grandeur of the building.Take a 360-degree virtual tour!
St Mary's Catholic Church Tour
Come and look inside and learn about the history and design of St Mary's Catholic Church.Go on a virtual guided tour!
Booking not required.
Where to find us
- 14 Patrick Street
- PA16 8NA
Programmes this building took part in: