St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Tain
Highland – Inverness, Black Isle, Easter Ross
Technically St. Andrew’s is described as:- First Pointed Gothic with wide tracery, hood-moulded windows. It has a bell tower and porch with halls and a vestry behind. The interior is of very simple satisfying design with stained glass windows. The earliest stained glass, dated 1884, was made by Ballantyne and Gardner, a well-known firm of Edinburgh stained glass makers. The later glass is by A. L. Ward in 1910 and by W. Wilson in 1955 and 1961.
St. Andrew’s houses fine examples of the work of Robert ‘Mousey’ Thompson. In 1936 Robert installed a carved reredos. At the same time he fitted the altar rails. In 1967 the vestry commissioned this grandson to carve a lectern and later to fashion a pulpit. A lengthy enough mouse-hunting journey for anyone!
Tours of the Church which features stained glass by a variety of artists and carved oak furniture by Robert ‘Mousey’ Thompson, the earliest pieces by Robert himself and later pieced by his descendants. Younger visitors will enjoy trying to find the trademark carved mice all around the church. The organ is particularly fine. It was built by Hamilton and Muller, Edinburgh and has never been modified, though it was restored some years ago. From time to time, during the opening hours, the organ will be played. Guided tours will be available throughout the opening hours or visitors may wander around reading from notices adjacent to each point of interest.
Booking not required.
Where to find us
- Glebe Crescent
- IV19 1HE
Programmes this building took part in: