Castle Roy, Nethy Bridge
Highland – Badenoch & Strathspey
Castle Roy is an 12th century fortress built by the Clan Comyn on a small glacial mound to the north of the modern village of Nethy Bridge. In 1420 the whole area came under the stewardship of the Clan Grant who are still the clan of this area today. With its walls still standing 25 feet high, the castle is a simple, irregular four-sided stronghold that has been largely unaltered over the centuries and is, according to recent carbon dating, 1190 - 1220, is one of the oldest unchanged castles of its type in Scotland.
Simon Forder a local historian, who specialises in Scottish Castles, will be available on both days to give talks on Castle Roy and its position in history. Trustees will be available throughout both days to give guided tours of the Castle of the Castle.
Talks are planned to be at 11am and 2pm each day.
Booking not required.
Where to find us
- Situated on the B970 (beside Abernethy Kirk) on left on B970 Grantown Road
- Grantown Road
- Nethy Bridge
- PH25 3ED
Programmes this building took part in: