Morningside Parish Church
Morningside Parish Church, originally called St Matthew’s, is an amalgamation of five churches. It was built in 1895 by the architect Hippolyte Blanc. It contains a fine Edward Burne Jones window, depicting the Four Gospels, and several windows by Crear McCartney, including the St Cuthbert window which marked the final union of churches in 2003 that created Morningside Parish Church. The chancel and the Henry ‘Father’ Willis organ were added in 1901. The marble for the chancel floor was donated by the ladies of the congregation. The marble step to the chancel by the ladies’ maids. The organ, the last built by Willis, had its first playing at a memorial service for Queen Victoria.
The main sanctuary will be open to visitors. There will be a guided tour of the Church at 11am. History leaflets relating to the Church will be available.
There will also be free access to the Heart for Art (Dementia Project) exhibition in the sanctuary.
Dementia Friendly Event - Saturday 23rd September
FREE admittance donations welcome
Afternoon Concert, String Quartet, Heart Strings 2pm – 2.45pm
Art Exhibition 3pm – 5pm This is our first exhibition of the art works created at our Dementia Friendly Heart for Art group.
Where to find us
- Morningside Parish Church
- 1 Braid Road
- EH10 6BQ
Programmes this building took part in: