The Grange Cemetery was opened in 1847 by the Southern Cemetery Company Ltd. on land acquired from the Dick Lauder family. It was designed by the architect David Bryce and was built on a grid pattern with central vaulted catacombs. It includes a number of burials of well-known people including the Rev. Dr Thomas Chalmers, who played a leading role in the Disruption of 1843 when the Free Church of Scotland split from the Church of Scotland - he was the first person to be buried in the cemetery. The cemetery now includes a variety of mature trees. The main paths round the cemetery are level but covered in gravel which may not be the easiest surface for wheelchair users in some places. Free on-street parking is available in Grange Road at weekends.
Members of the Grange Association will be available to welcome visitors and answer questions. A variety of leaflets will be available with information about the history of the cemetery; a walk round some of the interesting memorials, which will each have posters giving information; a map showing our 40 Commonwealth War Graves Commission graves; a tree trail; information about the work being done to restore memorials. The section of the catacombs which includes interments will be open with a guide.
Where to find us
- Grange Road
- EH9 1TT
Programmes this building took part in: