St Athernase, Leuchars
The chancel and apse of the church are considered amongst the best surviving 12thC Romanesque buildings in Scotland. The church received Papal confirmation in the early 1180s and was consecrated by Bishop de Bernham, of St Andrews, in 1244.
The additional nave and bell tower are of 17th and 18thC construction but 19th and 20thC works have restored much of the original Norman exterior of blind arcading and decoration. Recent work saw further conservation of the exterior detailing, notably the distinctive corbel course of human, animal and grotesque carvings.
The stonework of the church's interior has many mason's marks and grave slabs, including an example of an early Albannach period cross slab from around the 9thC that was found nearby, and is thought to have originated from the earlier chapel of St Bonac, which preceded the Norman church.
You can see the history of the many changes in the building written in its fabric, and find out what our plans are for the future.
Guided tours of the church will be held throughout the day, and refreshments are available.
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue
Where to find us
- School Hill
- KY16 0HD
Programmes this building took part in: