Our Lady Star of the Sea, Tayport
Our Lady Star of the Sea was designed by Reginald Fairlie (1883-1952). He trained as an architect with Robert Stodart Lorimer (1864-1929) and set up his own practice in Edinburgh in 1908.
Although best known as a church architect, he designed many WW1 war memorials including the Scottish National war memorial at Edinburgh Castle and the R&A Golf Club war memorial in St. Andrews.
The east gable faces the street with an arched window and cross on the apex. The entrance is under an octagonal tower with a slated spire. Above the entrance, is a sculpture of Our Lady by Hew Lorimer, son of Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer who Fairlie trained with.
The dominant style is Scottish Gothic. Materials were sourced in Scotland for the flooring, bricks were cast in Scotland and Scottish stone used elsewhere
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue
Where to find us
- 36 Queen Street
- DD6 9JZ
Programmes this building took part in: