Auld Kirk, Tayport
A religious site since 1607, the Auld Kirk’s present structure dates from 1794. It is one of the oldest buildings in Tayport and an important local landmark, in particular because of its distinctive leaning clock tower. The impressive John Miller organ was built and installed in 1899 in a newly created bay.
The Auld Kirk is developing as an Arts and Heritage Centre, retaining the building’s historic features. The surrounding graveyard has many interesting slabs reflecting Tayport’s history, maritime connections and the family grave of renowned local artist Martin Anderson, more widely known as 'Cynicus'.
At 2.00 pm on Sunday 3rd September there will be a guided tour of the graveyard with a talk by Dr Iain Flett about some of the more notable burials.
Displays of old maps and photographs of Tayport, as well as old films and a genealogy table will be part of the DOD event.
There will be a drawing competition for children to design their own postcards and enter them in a draw. The first three postcards drawn will win a prize.
NO BOOKING REQUIRED.
Stewards will be present at the venue.
GUIDED TOUR AT 2.00 p.m.
Where to find us
- Auld Kirk
- Castle Street / Witenhall
- DD6 9BY & DD6 9BX
Programmes this building took part in: