Clackmannan Tower dates from c1360 and was built by the Bruce family. In the 15th century the building was raised to its current height and the taller south wing was constructed. A new mansion was built to the west of the tower in the late 16th century and in the 17th century further changes were made to the tower. Lady Catherine Bruce, the last of the family, lived in the mansion until her death in 1791.
The tower has been in the guardianship of the State since the 1950s and is managed on its behalf by Historic Environment Scotland, which has undertaken extensive repairs. Further improvements have been carried out as part of the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative (IFLI). New internal barriers have improved safety for visitors, the scaffolded staircase has been removed and new lighting has been installed.
Visitors should note that this is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties. Sturdy footwear and outdoor clothing are essential, as access is via a field. Part of the tour is outdoors, while indoors there are narrow staircases, some low lintels and ceilings and uneven floors.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TOURS ARE NOW FULLY BOOKED.
Visits will be by pre-booked guided tour only at 10:00, 10.30, 11:00, 11.30, 12.00, 12.30, 1.45, 2.15, 2.45, 3.15, 3.45 and 4.15. Each tour will last approximately 45 minutes. Visitors will be admitted only if they have booked and are on the list.
To book, please email, preferably, ArgyllsLodgingAdmin@hes.scot or call Historic Environment Scotland on 07775 535452 by no later than 12.00 on Thursday 21st September.
Where to find us
- Kirk Wynd
- FK10 4JG
Programmes this building took part in: