Clackmannan Parish Church
Designed by James Gillespie Graham, this fine building probably replaced the medieval church built on the site in 1249. In perpendicular Georgian Gothic, with a buttressed tower against the west gable, there have been a number of alterations, but the interior retains many of its original features, including the pews and gallery. A marble plaque by Sir Robert Lorimer commemorates Robert Bruce, Master of Burleigh, who was killed at Le Cateau on 26th August 1914, an early casualty of the First World War.
The stained glass is impressive and all of mid-20th century date; there are windows by Herbert Hendrie (1938, 1940), Douglas Hamilton (1952, 1953), Gordon Webster (1964) and Sadie McLellan (1966), the last one donated by the Buick family of Hilton Fireclay, Brick & Tile Works in Alloa. The Coronation window, the only one in the county, is in the east wall of the gallery. Queen Elizabeth II visited the church on 9th July 1997 to see it.
In the kirkyard, late 17th and early 18th century trade gravestones reflect the farming backgrounds of many of the inhabitants of the parish. The large memorial and burial lair for the Bruce family can also be seen.
Guided tours are available on request.
On Saturday only delicious lunches will be available from 12 noon to 2 pm.
Where to find us
- High Street
- FK10 4JG
Programmes this building took part in: