Alva Old Kirkyard and Johnstone Mausoleum
The church of St Serf was rebuilt in 1632 but was demolished after a fire in 1985. Its ‘footprint’ remains, along with early gravestones in the kirkyard. The Erskine family had a burial vault beneath the church.
The Johnstone Mausoleum was designed by Robert and James Adam for John Johnstone (1734–1795), who bought the Alva estate from James Erskine, Lord Alva, in 1775. Johnstone built the mausoleum in 1791. Columns of the Greek Doric order flank the entrance, supporting a triangular pediment. It is one of only four Adam mausolea in Scotland. Johnstone, his wife and six of their descendants are buried in the original mausoleum: an eastern extension was added in the 19th century to accommodate additional burials. The mausoleum, which is owned and maintained by Clackmannanshire Heritage Trust, has been restored and a glass roof has replaced the pitched roof of the 19th century extension.
The Old Kirkyard was restored as part of the Historic Kirkyards Trail project of the Ochils Landscape Partnership programme.
There will be guided tours throughout the afternoon.
The Old Kirkyard and Mausoleum are partly accessible to visitors with mobility difficulties.
Where to find us
- Loan Side
- Ochil Road
- FK12 5JT
Programmes this building took part in: