Wemyss School of Needlework
Started in 1877 by Dora, eldest daughter of James Hay Erskine Wemyss of Wemyss Castle, the school was modelled on the Royal School of Needlework in London; but with a well defined philanthropic emphasis to teach a skill to local girls from which they would be able to earn a living and it provided this valuable facility for many decades.
Since 2012 it was clear that the School must modernise and reinvent itself in order to survive. With the support of the family Trustees we have improved the building, installed modern communication systems and have greatly expanded the range of products that we offer for sale.
We have also introduced better storage for our large textile collection, which is now exhibited on a regular basis; and what is more, we have started teaching again and are actively researching the history of the girls who attended the School in its early years.
Guided tours will take place throughout our Doors Open Days
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue.
Where to find us
- WEMYSS SCHOOL OF NEEDLEWORK
- Main Street
- Coaltown of Wemyss
- KY1 4NX
Programmes this building took part in: