Burntisland Parish Church
Built between 1592 - 95 this is the oldest Post-Reformation church still in use in Scotland, and is historically important as being one of the first churches built in Scotland after the Reformation, with a highly distinctive and probably wholly original Scottish square plan design.
The interior of the church is notable for its many carved and painted wooden panels depicting the maritime professions and trades of the town. The ornate 'Magistrate's Pew dates to 1606 and the organ was paid for by Andrew Carnegie.
In 1601, due to the plague in Edinburgh, King James VI moved his court to Burntisland to stay at Rossend Castle, the home of Sir Robert Melville. On 12th May that year he held the General Assembly within the Parish Church. During that meeting it was agreed by all present, and consented by the King, to commission a new modern English translation of the Bible, and in 1611 the King James Bible or the ‘Authorised Version’ was first printed.
There will be an introduction to the church and guided tours will take place throughout the day.
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue
Where to find us
- East Leven Street
- KY3 9DB
Programmes this building took part in: