Burntisland Heritage Trust
BURNTISLAND HERITAGE TRUST
“BURNTISLAND and KINGHORN BUILT” - John Key & Sons opened their Abden shipyard in 1868. We look at the beautiful iron framed sailing ships, the first iron whaler and the wonderful paddle steamers such as the Willie Muir. The yard supplied many of the steamships plying the world’s oceans delivering goods and emigrants to the far-flung empire.
As the Kinghorn yard was closing another, modern, yard was opening in Burntisland. Driven by the demands of WWI, and the extraordinary drive of two brilliant brothers, our display covers the yard's amazing WWII effort that saw production break all records with innovations that helped the Allies win the war. All of this ties in with our model boat collection.
BURNTISLAND BURGH CHAMBERS
This building complex, a well-recognised landmark in the Town Centre, dates from 1843. The Council Chambers on the first floor comprise a beautiful historic room as well as the old Burgh Court and Magistrates’ Room. The Chambers also houses a fine collection of 19th and 20th century art works relating to the town.
N.B. – Whilst the display at Burntisland Heritage is wheelchair accessible unfortunately the upper storey venue of the Burgh Chambers are NOT.
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue.
Where to find us
- Burntisland Heritage Trust
- 4 Kirkgate
- KY3 9DB
Programmes this building took part in: