Built on top of a small hill the church has tremendous views over the surrounding countryside and has probably been a site of religious significance long before Christianity was established in Scotland and such ancient sites had churches established on them.
Originally dedicated to St Columba the church at 'Ouchtertule' is mentioned in a papal bull of 1178 granting it to the prior of Inchcolm. The church has been rebuilt or altered at least five times and the present church was reconstructed in 1833 but incorporated parts of the earlier building.
In the 17thC Forbes of Craigievar owned the lands of Auchtertool and an armorial of Forbes is to be seen inside the church and on the east gable, also the Skene of Hallyards burial vault lies beneath the N aisle, both indicating strong local patronage and support of the church.
The organ was built in 1886 by Casson & Miller of Perth and is one of only six of its kind known to survive.
A booklet of the church's history will be available on the Open Day.
NB Parking is at KY2 5XQ – Fife Council car park. Entry to the graveyard only for disabled drivers, or to drop off passengers with mobility problems at the door.
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Stewards will be present at the venue
BOOKLETS OF THE KIRK HISTORY AVAILABLE
Where to find us
- 1Km west of Auchtertool on B925
- KY2 5XG
Programmes this building took part in: