The Mortuary Chapel was designed by Patrick Allan-Fraser as a memorial to his late wife Elizabeth and her deceased parents John Fraser and Elizabeth Parrot Fraser. Work began in 1875 based on an outline plan by Allan-Fraser to which he added details as building progressed.
Everyone who visits quickly realises that this is a remarkable building, possibly the most unusual and most instantly appealing of the many fine buildings within Arbroath. However, it is also very important on a national scale. It could claim to be one of the best buildings of its date in Scotland.
The building is also notable for its eclectic mix of styles, including reference to Scottish, English and possibly other precedents from East European Gothic. Every part of the building is important because every part received great care in design.
The chapel has one step on entering and the upper levels are up a number of stairs.
Dogs are not allowed inside the mortuary chapel (unless an assistance/guide dog).
The Mortuary Chapel is located in the Western Cemetery. Tours will be available at 12 noon, 1pm and 2pm, led by Hospitalfield Volunteer Tour Guides. Booking is not required.
Booking is not required.
Where to find us
- Western Cemetery
- Forfar Road
- DD11 4HA
Programmes this building took part in: