31 August 2019 (10am to 4pm)
Dunlichty Church was built in 1759 and is believed to be the third stone church on this site - all previous churches having been wooden constructions. According to tradition, the building before this one had a porch where the men of the parish left their bows and arrows during Sunday services. Marks made by sharpening arrows and swords could be seen on the sandstone cheeks of the porch. Such marks can still be seen on the corner stone of the Shaw burial enclosure.
In the corner of the graveyard surrounding the church is a watch house, built around 1882 to protect the graves from grave robbers of the time.
There has been worship here since the time of the first church dedicated to St Finan in the year 575 AD.
Dunlichty Church was united with the Parish of Daviot in 1618 - one of the first such unions in Scotland and believed to be the oldest such union still where both churches are still in use. It is a place of wonderful stillness and has a special atmosphere of its own.
Building Date: 1759