Search
Search
Back to List

Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow

Door open days

14 September 2020

20 September 2020

Glasgow Doors Open Days Festival

Italianate, 'palazzo' style building; designed by Charles Wilson. Finely sculpted masks of legal figures forming keystones to the window arches outside and richly decorated interior. Members law library which celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2017 on the upper floor.

The Faculty of Procurators (or lawyers) in Glasgow has been in existence since before 1668.

The building, into which the Faculty and its library moved in 1857, is a two-storeyed building with three facades designed by the architect Charles Wilson (1810-1863) in the style of a Venetian Palazzo. Wilson is also responsible for some of Glasgow's finest Italianate buildings.

The keystones to the arches, depicting the faces of eminent lawyers, were modelled by Alexander Handyside Ritchie and carved by James Shanks.

There are a number of different rooms within the building including the Faculty Hall which has been used for a variety of purposes over the years, including auctions and Royal Faculty lunches.

The Small Library with its bicentenary window commissioned from John K. Clark for the Royal Faculty's bicentenary in 1996 and mortification boards around the balcony commemorating bequests to the Royal Faculty's charitable funds.

The Main Library which was described in the Glasgow Herald of 12 June 1857 as "one of the most exquisite halls in the West of Scotland". Nine busts of former members of the Faculty and other notables add character to the library.

The building houses an extremely important collection of legal texts and is still used as a working space by solicitors and advocates, consequently it is usually only open to members.

 

Digital Resources

The Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow

This virtual exhibition will offer a chance to see the library’s impressive interior, give a glimpse of some of the treasures in the library’s collection and reveal some of the fascinating stories from the library’s past.

Go on a virtual guided tour!

 

 

 

Key Information

Architect: Charles Wilson

Building Date: 1857

Address
  • 12 Nelson Mandela Place
  • Glagow
  • G2 1BT