28 September 2019
Queen Street Gardens were established under a private Act of Parliament in 1822, intending to safeguard the open space along Queen Street as communal pleasure gardens. Today, proprietors and tenants of neighbouring properties are entitled to apply for a key and the levies received meet the cost of maintenance and upkeep. The Centre District of Queen Street Gardens was designed by Andrew Wilson, Landscape Painter, inspired by the classical landscapes of Claude Lorrain. The gardens feature a stone pavillion in the Greek Doric style that underwent conservation in 2014. It is 4.25 acres in size.