14-15 September 2019
While the castle probably has early 12th century origins, the building in more-or-less its present form dates from the late 16th century. Ultimately owned by the Earl of Hopetoun, it was abandoned c.1840 and the 20th century found it ruined. Restoration is being undertaken by the present owner, Geoffrey Nicholsby, who plans to make Duntarvie a function venue and also the headquarters of Geoffrey Tailor Kiltmakers. Good progress has been made: the new roof is now in place, the east tower is 40% rebuilt, new floors have been inserted into the west wing and the barrel vault that was missing has now been replaced.
Rectangular three-storey block with square five-storey towers projecting at either end (the east tower had partially collapsed); turrets with turnpike stairs in the tower-main block angles. The internal straight stair (ground to first floor) is an unusual feature for its period.